We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice.
However, we are aware that sometimes things can go wrong that may affect the care you receive. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably as possible.
If you wish to make a complaint please follow the steps below:
Practice Complaints Procedure
- Contact the practice manager in the first instance who will deal with your concerns appropriately. You can do this over the phone or in person.
- If you would prefer, you can put your complaint in writing. Please send your letter for the attention of: Practice Manager, The Northolme Practice, Northowram Surgery, Northowram Green, Halifax, HX3 7JE.
Contacting us in the first instance usually identifies a problem and we can put things right straight away. We review all complaints annually and put improvements in place as a result.
What we shall do
We shall acknowledge your complaint within three working days and aim to have looked into your complaint within 28 working days of the date when you raised it with us. Where the complaint is complex, for example, if it involves more than one clinician, the response may take a little longer.
- find out what happened and what went wrong;
- make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this;
- make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate;
- identify what we can to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again.
Complaining on behalf of someone else
Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have their permission to do so.
We hope that you will use our Practice Complaints Procedure if you are unhappy. We believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve the services we provide. We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly when they arise.
If you feel uncomfortable raising your concerns or complaint directly with the Northolme Practice, you can raise your complaint with the West Yorkshire Integrated Care Board (West Yorkshire ICB) who commission and pay for the NHS Services you use at:
Telephone: 01924 552 150
In writing: West Yorkshire Integrated Care Board Complaints Team, White Rose House, West Parade, Wakefield, WF1 1LYT
They are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm and are closed on Bank Holidays.
Please note if you have raised your concerns or complaint with us already, the West Yorkshire ICB will not be able to reconsider the same concerns. You can find more information on how to make a complaint to the ICB on their ICB website.
Contacting the Practice first is the quickest and simplest way of solving nearly all problems. If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint or how it was dealt with, you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman to investigate it.
The Health Service Ombudsman is a free, independent complaints service. If they decide that the NHS has got things wrong, they can make recommendations to put things right.
You can contact the Health Service Ombudsman in the following ways.
- By phoning 0345 015 4033 (textphone 0300 061 4298 for people who are deaf or have problems using a standard phone).
- By sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By texting ‘call back’ with your name and mobile number; to 07624 813 005. Someone will call you.
- If you use British Sign Language you can use their Sign Video service
- By writing to: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
You can also visit their website at: www.ombudsman.org.uk
If you want help making a complaint, Healthwatch Calderdale can help you find independent NHS complaints Advocacy services in your area.